Five schools have won a host of free trips and workshops as part of a competition to celebrate 10 years of the Council for Learning Outside the Classroom (CLOtC).
The lucky winners were randomly selected by the charity and will receive the experiences donated by several LOtC Quality Badge providers.
This draw marks the first of many ballots going on throughout the year, with entries for the next round of prizes opening on Wednesday, 1st May.
The first round of winners are:
- Fulwood and Cadley Primary School, Preston: The school wins a visit to one of six Canal and River Trust museums including; the Anderton Boat Lift in Cheshire, Standadge Tunnel in Yorkshire and the National Waterways Museum at Ellesmere Port.
- Ashton Vale Primary School, Bristol: They’ll get to spend the day at the Wilderness Foundation’s outdoor learning workshop, soaking up 400 acres of farmland, with not a desk in sight. This award-winning initiative can be found in the heart of Essex and has been offering engaging ways to educate children since 1976.
- The Federation of St Mary’s School, Merseyside: The pupils and staff will explore the ocean at one of Merlin’s SEA LIFE attractions, combining active hands-on learning with fascinating educational talks and the chance to get up close and personal with an amazing aquatic world.
- ACS Egham International School, Surrey: The school was selected to win free entry and an ‘animal encounters’ workshop at Paulton’s Theme Park, allowing students to come face to face with a range of animals, picking up some interesting facts along the way.
- Kingsland Primary School, Birmingham: They win an educational outreach session with the RSPB in their school grounds to suit the age and curriculum of their class. The RSPB, the largest nature conservation charity in the country, works to connect children with the natural world.
Entry for the next round of prizes, which includes a free activity for a class at Craggan Outdoors in the Cairngorms, a three-day coastal residential trip in Dorset with Cumulus Outdoors, a journey with Dudley Canal & Tunnel Trust, an experience with Magdalen Environmental Trust on its farm in Somerset and a free school trip to Warwick Castle, opens on 1st May.
Visit www.lotc.org.uk/competition for all the details including how to enter (terms and conditions apply).
The Council for Learning Outside the Classroom is the national charity that campaigns for every child to experience the world beyond the classroom as an essential part of education.
Visit www.lotc.org.uk to find out more.